Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 5

Today was just a great day!
It was my best friend Morgan's birthday today and every year for both of our birthdays we have this tradition of hanging out with each other the entire day. So today we decided to get our nails done, we left the car in the parking lot and decided to take a walk on the beach which ended up taking us to Venice Beach. We walked around, shopped a little, and got some matching henna tattoos. We came across fun quotes, saw beautiful art and walked. I love just walking, I find it refreshing, maybe thats why I love NYC so much. It doesnt matter where you walk, but walk. Your body needs it and so does Mr.Earth.

While we were there I got a call back from the Ronald McDonald House on the volunteering position. I was so excited and happy! I scheduled to come next Wednesday for training. After training I can come in and volunteer when ever I want! She said that most volunteers greet the new families in and help show them around. I asked about activities like reading to the children and playing with them and she said it was all up to me as what I wanted to do, it can be spontaneous or a big planned event like a Bingo night. I CANT WAIT! I have some serious fun ideas! I'm gonna be the next PATCH ADAMS!!! ;) She told me that these are the illest children in the world and that right across the RMH they have a hospital for emergencies or for daily treatments =( I strongly believe that through joy and laughter you can extend a person's life.
Morgan and I watched the beautiful sunset.

After dropping her off, I went to my interview for the ocean pollution project, which I need to come back to tomorrow morning.
On my way back, I decided to get gas from the Eco-Friendly ARCO gas station on 8770 W. Olympic Blvd. For those of you who have never been there or seen it, it's actually really beautiful! It's all made out of recycled material, it has a futuristic design that's all sliver, rainbow and funky. It's super cute! While your pumping gas, there is a tv screen attached to each station with little facts on how to save gas, energy and more. I actually read about this yesterday in my environmental book that if you cleaned out your car with all the things you have in the trunk or backseat, you can actually save 1-2 gallons each time! Now I dont know about you, but I keep an actual closet in my backseat haha, so let's save $ and gas, and clean out our cars.
Also they had little postcards, that were of course made out of recycled paper, it was actually funny feeling paper, but I loved the idea.
One of the postcard said "Activating the sleep mode on your computer uses up to 70% less electricity than using a screen saver." lol I actually read that too in my book yesterday haha. Let's save energy people and our computer's life line!
Another fun fact "Switch to cleaning products that are biodegradable and non toxic. 62% of cleaning products found in the average American home equal 10 gallons of harmful chemicals."

So that was my good deed of the day for our beautiful world!
My best friend and I came up with the idea today of going to P.A.T.H. the homeless shelter and getting some business cards from them and actually passing them around to homeless people!!! I think its a genius idea! PATH actually picks up homeless people off the streets that actually want help. I really need to do this. Especially right now with the economic crisis more people are homeless then ever and its been a cold winter at night this year, so I really want to help as many people as I can.

"Live poor so you can die rich." -Source Unknown

1 comment:

  1. Bumper stickers that don't offer solutions are NOT the answer!

    ReplyDelete