Sunday, January 3, 2010

Day 2

Last night I had planned to wake up early like at 11am and call one of my all time favorite Homeless Shelters, P.A.T.H. (People assisting the homeless). I had volunteered there a few times.
They have a great program for the homeless. They put them on a 6months program to get there live together. They give them all a little private room, feed them, clean clothes, and help them with job placements. They give them responsibilities such as curfew and other rules. The shelter is divided into 3 floors: Men, Women, Women & Children. On another side of the shelter they have a section called "The Mall" where they have different things like a salon, they have a courtroom, they even have classes to teach them things like typing, how to use a computer, and more skills. I really adore this place and this project. I actually once in High School suggested to my amazing English teacher to have us all go there as a classroom and we did!!! It was great! All the times I went there I helped cook and serve lunch.
The homeless were so grateful and kept thanking us all for being there =D
Well this morning I wanted to do it but I had woken up at almost 3pm because I went to sleep at 7am writing my blogs and reading my 10 pages. I made a goal and I cant stop not for a single day.
Well I ended up calling and they never picked up, I tried calling both shelters, there is one in Santa Monica and another in Los Angeles. None picked up! Boooo that sucks! I was looking forward to it. Maybe next weekend or tomorrow.

I went to have dinner with a friend today and realized that I had to go to the H&M at the mall to pick up clothes for a photoshoot I have tomorrow. I was trying to figure out what time they closed, so I went on there website on my phone and saw a section on the website that was to help a non-profit organization called "UNICEF all for children".
I think one of the world's greatest gifts are children. I LOVE LOVE LOVE KIDS! Everything about them! I love how excited a child gets when you tell them a story. That the simplest things like bubbles, rainbows, and butterflies make them so happy! I love how curious they are! Their just so excited and augured to learning new things! and of course they are big BIG dreamers!!! They believe they can do anything!...Kinda like ME! haha If I was to open a non-profit it would have to be for children!
Wellllll back to what I was saying lol. So I went to www.hm.com/allforchildren to learn more about this organization and they are actually one of the biggest, if not the biggest children's non-profit organizations! They help children from allll over the world in almost every country! You can actually go on their website and select a country and then read the time line of what they have done for that country! It's wonderful! Of course I looked up Israel ;) and then Italy and Iraq because they were all near eachother. It was actually pretty amazing to see how they helped for example Israel way back in 1948, they provided food, blankets, and other essentials for 18 months when Israel first became a country! Later on in 1989 Israel issued a postage stamp and memento page in honor of UNICEF.
What a great cause! LOVE IT!
I ended up reading more interesting facts for about an hour and then donated $5 to Israel. You can do it, to whatever country you want and you can pick for what cause. I choose "Whatever is most needed".
Yesterday as I read my 10 pages a day, I learned that there are 46,000 pieces of plastic waste in every square mile of the world's ocean! That's sad!!! Please pick up your trash and keep the ocean clean! It's one of G*d most beautiful creation! 40% of all sea life has been destroyed over the last 25 years as a result of human pollution =( thats terriblllleee!!!
I used to have a saltwater fish tank for a few years and know how hard it is to maintain marine life and no matter how much work I had to put into it, like making sure the water was warm enough, salty enough, and clean, it was soooo worth it and rewarding each and everyday to see my beautiful exotic fish happy and healthy! 75% of earth is the ocean! Keep our planet clean. There is trash cans all over beaches, please don't leave things in the sand. At night the tide gets high and the water raises and everything goes straight into the ocean =( It's very simple to grab your trash as you are grabbing the rest of your belongings. THANK YOU!!!!
Good night!!! =D

“In a world of unbelievable affluence, millions flounder and struggle for survival, as they suffer indescribable need. The child, the most vulnerable of human beings and the least able to fend for itself, surely agitates the conscience of a world that acknowledges the right of every human being to equal consideration and prospects.”
- Zena Harman, Chairman of the UNICEF Executive Board


P.A.T.H = epath.org
All for Children= unicef.com

No comments:

Post a Comment