Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 22

FRIDAY!!!
Well I wasn't scheduled to go into the Ronald McDonald House today but I was told from Jennifer, the volunteer Manager, that they need volunteers on Fridays so I decided to go help. On the way there, I stopped my the market and picked up some Valentine's Day cookies for the staff, children, and families. I'm SO glad I went because when I got there, there was only 1 other volunteer, but other then that no one was working the front desk which kinda made me sad because people call all day with questions and checking availabilities for housing with extremely sick children who need hospital treatment asap or I guess in general, anyone needing anything. So I ended up staying a 4 hours although I had plans because I didnt want to leave the front desk empty without anyone. I handed out cookies to everyone. Checked out a few families and helped families that needed any assistance. I also made packets for our upcoming event, which is our WALK, its going to take place on April.11 at the Universal Studio Backlot! COME! COME! COME! Also, I found out that every Friday we do a giveaway, where we give toys that were donated to the sick children, which I think is sooo nice! What a great idea! It made me so happy to see the children happy!
It's weird but I feel like I'm the only volunteer at the house that is really doing it for my own enjoyment. Everyone else that I asked, it seems, are doing it because they need volunteer hours for school =/ I mean I guess its still nice, I just wish more people did it because they WANTED TO, not because it was a requirement by a program or a class project.

Today I also found out about a non-profit organization called Cross Cultural Solutions that has different programs in different countries such as Peru, Russia, India, Brazil, South Africa, China and more. You can volunteer anywhere from 1 week to 12 weeks, its pretty neat! I was actually looking at information about maybe going to India!!! WOW India sounds so amazing! I love their fabrics, the henna tattoos, the culture, the amazing temples and building, even the food! It works for me because I'm a Vegetarian for 16 years and so are they! One of my friend's Natalie spend a few months there and said how amazing it was and that you learned how to make anything, she learned how to make clothes and bracelets. India is probably on my top 5 must see countries. Along side with ITALY! Paris, Egypt and Spain. I've only been to Israel, Brazil, Argentina and the US. I def need more stamps in my passport and hopefully by the end of my project I'll have many more. I just wish these volunteering and internships didn't cost so much =/
stillll researching though different options!
Have a good weekend!

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."

No comments:

Post a Comment