Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 27

TODAY I DID IT!
I am officially enrolled in Oranim Volunteering Long Term Program to Israel.
I'm the type of person that doesn't like to say things unless I know they're 100% sure, so although I have been working strongly on this the last couple of weeks, I didn't think any information was worth speaking of until now that I have put my security deposit.
Originally I was planning on doing a 5 month Internship with a non-profit in Tel Aviv, Israel, in an apartment on the beach, that actually cost $5000 because it was so near the beach. But after doing a lot of thinking and research, I decided that the best choice for me would be to enroll in the Ness Ziona Community Involvement Program for 5 months, which is free. I figured it will give me more options to do different things with my money afterwards, such as traveling. I also choose it because of the name as well lol, Ness in Hebrew means miracle and Zoina means Israel, I like it ;) I believe that names build character and attracts to it's meaning.
Soooooooo my program actually starts March.8th-Aug.5th!!! SOOOO SOON! How exciting! Which gives me very little time to do so many things but I work the best under pressure! I will be volunteering/helping children learn how to read, help the elderly, do environmental things, work at Soup Kitchen and more. We will be getting Hebrew classes, everyday the first 2 weeks and then 2 times a week until the end of the program. We will also be going on 10 field trips, which 3 of them will be a sleep away. We'll be having group activities and lectures every week.
I can't wait to spend my summer in Israel once again, last year I had the GREATEST SUMMER EVER IN ISRAEL! Ness Ziona is 20mins from the beaches in Tel Aviv, which is great because I can't live without the ocean.
The greatest part about this all, is that I get to finally be close to my mom and my sisters that moved away to Israel 4 months ago. Yet sadly enough I will be leaving my little brother and father in the States.
I will be leaving Los Angeles at the end of Feb so that I get at least a week to spend with my family. I plan to spend the rest of Aug in Israel with my family and spend my Birthday there, which is Aug.12.
Most of the volunteers signed up for this months ago but I'm always so spontaneously random with ideas that are always soooo last minute. Which leaves me with the feeling that everything this month is gonna fly right on by. It'll be stressful at times because I have a very short amount of time to get in all my paperwork in, apply for a grant, work and make enough money for living in Israel for 6months and a plane ticket, along with other expenses. Hang out with my dad and friends before I leave. I need to do the Landmark Forum Seminar that I signed up for. I also have a Vegas trip planned, andddd stillll do daily selfless acts, but BRING IT ON!
I'm so excited! I know this experience will change me forever and so will this project of mine.
To be quite honest, I don't believe that after my program I will be returning to Los Angeles. Kind of a bittersweet feeling, I lived here for 16 years and lived LA to the fullest and I feel like now it's just a matter of where the wind takes me.

I really need me some James Blunt right now.

""Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been on here in a few weeks, but I'm glad I stopped by. Congrats on getting into the program! I am sure you will have an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete