Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 17

I worked from 10am-6pm at one of my jobs and then from 7pm-12am at my other job. I think its safe to say that working 13hrs kinda gives you very little time to save the world, although one of those jobs entitles helping peoples health.
However, I did make a very generous tip today at Western Bagel before I came into work, so I figured I'd make a point about that. Many people see tipping as a routine they have to do while going out to dine but not many see it it as a form of donation and it is. Most people tip when they go to a restaurant and when valeting their car. Yet they dont tip while going into starbucks to get some coffee or Jamba Juice, a deli for a quick sandwich or a bagel, an ice cream or hot dog stand, the omelet guy at the buffet, taxi drivers, bathroom attendant, the bellboy and more. Be more alert to those tip jars, some of those people work the hardest and it goes unrecognized an awful lot. Those little tip jars really do add an extra smile on someones face at the end of the day. Tips should be earned and if someone is being kind to you why not thank them for it. A few years back I used to work as a barista at a great little cafe shop. On some nights we would have a live jazz band play but all together we had about 8 tables in the whole place, it was mainly for coffee on the go. It wasn't a very busy place but I remember my coworker Justin and I counted ever penny like it was gold! That's what we would look forward to all shift long. We would only really end up making $14 all together and splitting it but it really made our day lol. Even tipping extra at a restaurant thats dead really makes someone feel better or at a nail salon that you can tell isn't a busy place. I believe that its the little things that we do that make the biggest difference to someone else. Doing a small act of kindness such as this can make someone day and in return this person gives back the favor else where and it starts a positive pattern that goes on and on.
I also wanted to mention that Sport Chalet is actually taking shoes donation and sending them to Haiti! This is a nice cause =) so if you have fairly new or clean shoes that are small on you and are just sitting in your closet collecting dust, go donate them to people that REALLY need them! Shoes are so IMPORTANT! Dont underestimate there value.

More Information on donating your shoes:
http://www.sportchalet.com/category/soles+4+souls+and+sport+chalet.do


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it."

No comments:

Post a Comment