Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 13


First of all I wanted to thank everyone who has been reading my blog daily or randomly. I've been getting some really great feedback and I just wanted to thank you all. In just a week I have nearly 400 views! Which makes me SUPER DUPER HAPPY! So thank YOU because it really means the world to me. I really want to make a difference and by you reading it, I really feel like I do.
Now although I wasn't feeling the best today because of yesterday's illness, I still decided to go to the volunteer training at The Ronald McDonald House because I had committed to it last week. They did a lot of renovating since I went there last, everything looked brand new. There were about 10 other volunteers in the training, all there for different reasons.
We were taught the the history of company, rules, basically procedure and the different types of volunteer positions they offer. I wasn't really aware of this, but only 3% of the patient can actually do any kind of activities. Most of the volunteer work is for their families and siblings.
One of the most popular activities is the Family Meal Program. It's for the families who spend all day at the hospital and when they return to the house, they have no energy to make breakfast, lunch, or dinner, so we make it for them. I would love to get a few of my friends to do something like this! I think it would be great!
andddd I found out that, there are only 8 actual staff members that work in the Los Angeles location, the rest are all volunteers. Every year 3 million different people volunteer at one of the RMH, which just goes to show how many good people are out there, for all you none believers in the good out there. Plus I found out that McDonald's only donates 10% to the Ronald McDonald House, the other 90% are all donations, which I found amazing.
I also learned that the "real/proper" way to wash your hands is by saying the ABC's twice, otherwise your just spreading germs all over your hands! How is that for a fun fact!
The training itself was 2 hours. Everyone was extremely nice, we also got snakes and pizza, and had a little quiz at the end with giveaways and I answered the first questions right ;) someone was paying attention.
So now I can start scheduling regular volunteer visits. Which I will probably start next week. I would really like to try and volunteer there twice a week.

For all of you who are unemployment right now, don't sit on your butt all day and do nothing but be on the computer, watch tv, and play video games, go and find something that interest you and volunteer! There are soooo many people that need your help and the furfilling feeling afterwards is priceless.
This non-profit organization is also part of the Give a Day, Get a Disney Day from Disney.

"Love looks through a telescope; envy, through a microscope."

No comments:

Post a Comment